Whether you are planning to lunch a new blog or a website for your business and looking for a cost-effective way to register a domain. Or, you are a student and searching for a free domain for your project. You can get .np ccTLD domain (.com.np) for free; No registration fee, No renewal fee. Ya, you read it right, it’s completely free.
.np ccTLD domain registration service is provided by Mercantile Communication in Nepal for free.
In this guide, we will go through all details like required documents, eligibility criteria, and of course, step by step process to register a free .np (.com.np) domain.
Requirement to register free .com.np domain
To register a free .com.np domain, we need the following item:
- Official document related to the domain name we are requesting.
- Domain request Cover Letter/Application signed by the applicant.
- Domain Name Server Address.
Lets go through each element and prepare one by one.
1. Required Official document:
First, You will need a supporting document related to your domain name. You can use Nepalese citizenship, Passport, or Driving license to request the domain. Submitted documents should be related to the domain name you are trying to register. For example, By submitting Citizenship of Nil Koirala, you can’t register domain jhon.com.np. You can use variations of your name like nil.com.np, nilkoirala.com.np, koirala.com.np, and more.
This document must be scanned in image format (jpg, jpeg), and the image size should be less than 200KB. If you are submitting your citizenship, then the scanned image should contain both the front and back parts of citizenship.
You can use mobile apps like Fast Scanner, Office Lens to scan the document. And, if the scanned image size gets larger than 200KB then you will need to compress the size. You can use image compression tools like Squoosh to compress the image. Squoosh is a free and easy to use image compression web app that does compress the image in your browser locally.
2. Application / Cover Letter for .com.np domain registration
Along with official document, you will need a Domain request Application / Cover Letter signed by you.
- Write the application/cover letter on white paper. [you can use the below sample cover letter as a template].
- Print it. (Instead of printing, you can directly write an application on white paper.)
- Signed it.
- Scan in image format.
.com.np registration Sample Cover letter/ Application
You can take this sample cover letter and write it on your own or you can use these templates and make appropriate changes to the highlighted part.
To Date:2021/02/15 The HostMaster NP ccTLD Registration Services Mercantile Communications Pvt. Ltd. Hiti Pokhari, Durbarmarg, Kathmandu, Nepal Subject: Regarding Domain Registration Dear Sir/Madam, I would like to register a domain name nil.pro.np under my name Nil Koirala. I have already filled the online registration form and have attached my citizenship along with it. I would be grateful if you consider my domain registration request. Thank you for your consideration. Requested domain name: nil.com.np Yours Sincerely Nil Koirala (Signature)
3. Domain Name Server Address
In simple terms, Domain Name Server addresses are the special address that points your domain name to the hosting server you are using. Domain Name Server is also called DNS or Name Server. To host any website, you will need hosting space to save your application code. When you buy hosting space, they will provide you their Domain Name Address configured in their hosting.
Every hosting provider provides at-least 2 name servers (Primary name server, Secondary name server). Generally, it looks like ns1.hostingurl.com, ns2.hostingurl.com. We can also use Cloudflare’s free DNS system.
If you already have a hosting server, then use the provided DNS Address. If you haven’t bought it yet, then you can use the Name Server of any hosting provider that you are likely to host later. In case, If you use other hosting, you can easily change the nameservers from the admin panel.
For example, If you are hosting with Tech Vumi, then you can use the below Name Server
Steps to Register Free .np Domain Name in Nepal
Now, we have everything needed to register a free .com.np domain in Nepal. So, let’s dig into the registration process step by step:
1. Create an account on register.com.np:
Register.com.np is the official portal of NP ccTLD domain. You will need an account on register.com.np to register any NP ccTLD domain (.np domain). To create an account:
- Go to https://register.com.np/register
- Enter all details (Full Name, Email, Password) and click on “Create Account”
- You will see a success message “Thank You for Registering! Please check your email to activate your account”.
- Check your email and click on verify button.
2. Check for Domain Availability
Now, you need to find out if the domain you want to register is available or not. These .np domains are provided on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Log In at register.com.np/login
- Check if the domain name you want to register is available or not.
For example, to check if nilkoirala.com.np is available or not, enter nilkoirala in the text box, and select .com.np from the dropdown then press search. The domain must be related to your name or business otherwise it won’t get approved.
- If it’s available, proceed to registration by clicking “Register Now” else search for another domain name.
3. Fill Domain request online form
Now, fill all form details carefully and press “save and continue”. Name Server (Domain Name Server Address), Administrative details are mandatory. Field with the star is mandatory and can skip others if not applicable to you like if you are requesting a domain for yourself the can skip the Organization name field.
If you have a different person to manage the technical task, then you need to fill in the technical detail section otherwise check “Copy administrative contact”. Now, press Save & Continue.
You can change the name server in the future, however, it may take time to get updated.
4. Submitting Document
After that, submit the required document and continue. To submit a document, select the document title from the drop-down and upload the respective document then click save for each document. All documents must be in image format ( jpg, jpeg).
5. Checking for Domain status.
You have just completed the domain registration process. Now, your domain will be reviewed by the NP ccTLD team (Mercantile). If you have submitted your all the information and supporting document correctly, your domain will be approved in one-two business days.
You can check your requested domain status in Domain Dashboard. When you log in to register.com.np you will be landed on Dashboard. Also, you can easily find the dashboard by clicking your name in the right top section.
When the domain is in the review process, it will be listed under New request/under approval. Once, it’s get approved the domain will be moved to Active domain section.
- How to set up a cron job in Linux?
- Blogging Tutorials Series for Beginner [Free]
- CSS Guide: Flexbox Cheatsheet
How to register .pro.np domain in Nepal?
PRO NP domains are given to any officially licensed professionals in Nepal. Some of those professionals are registered/certified Engineers, Lawyers, Nurses, and more.
To get the .pro.np domain, you will need to submit the scanned copy of the licenses. For example, an Engineering license from the Nepal Engineering council for engineers. At this moment, the registration of .pro.np isn’t active. You can check all domain extensions available to register for free in Nepal here.
How to get free (.np) .com.np for business/organization?
The process to get a free np domain for a business/organization is almost same as getting a domain for an individual. You can follow all steps as described. Only thing that differs are:
- you will need to submit a scanned copy of your company registration certificate instead of your personal official document.
- The cover letter must be printed/written on letterhead and stamped and signed by an authorized person of your organization.
- Sometimes, you may need to submit a PAN card as well. But, it isn’t mandatory.
- While filling the Administrative Contact section in Step 3, Add name & details of that person who signed the cover letter. Also, don’t forget to add your organization name.
Who can register for a free .np domain? What are the criteria to eligible for free .com.np domain registration?
Basically, to be eligible for a free NP domain, you need proof of presence in Nepal or associated with Nepal.
- For an individual, you can get .np free domain if you are:
- Nepali citizen with Nepalese citizenship or passport or driving license or voter’s card or
- Non-Resident-Nepalese with NRN ID Card or
- Foreign Nationals with Nepalese resident visa.
- For Company/Organization, you can get a free .np domain if your organization are:
- Local entities and have a Certificate of registration of company/organization/firm/partnership.
- Foreign entities registered in Nepal and have a certificate of registration of branch or liaison office or certificate of affiliation with Social Welfare Council.
- Non-incorporated entities doing business in Nepal such as Permanent Establishments or Non-incorporated Joint Venture Entitiesand have PAN registration certificate.
- In case of any entities (local or foreign) having business interests in Nepal – certificate of trademark registration in Nepal or
- official filing receipt of trademark application issued by the Department of Industry (to be supported with actual trademark registration certificate within 3 years of domain registration)
.np Domain Registration Cover Letter Templates
These templates are created in google docs. To use this template, click on any template link below and go to File then click on Make a copy. Now, edit to match your detail. Or, you can download it by clicking on File then Download and select docx file. And, edit on a local computer.